On April 15, the federal government started the process of depositing the first economic stimulus checks to individuals who have a direct deposit set up with the IRS. Eligible taxpayers could receive up to $1,200 of stimulus money, and many are looking to speed up the receipt of their payment. If you qualify, you can track the status of your check through a new IRS tool called Get My Payment.
To confirm your payment type and payment status:
- Visit https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments
- Click on the large blue “Get My Payment” button
- Enter your Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Street Address, and Zip Code and select Continue
- Get My Payment will display one of the following statuses:
- Payment Status
- A payment has been processed, the payment date is available, and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail
- You are eligible, but payment has not been processed, and the payment date is not available.
- Need More Information
- You are eligible for a payment, but we do not have your direct deposit information. You will be given the opportunity to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to get your payment
- Payment Status Not Available
- We cannot determine your eligibility for payment at this time. For example, you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return, or you recently filed, and the return has not been fully processed.
If more information is needed, you will need the following information from your 2019 return, if filed, or your 2018 return to verify your identity. Follow the prompts to update your bank account information if you hadn’t previously requested direct deposit on a return, or if you need to update your information.
- Your AGI from your most recent tax return submitted, either 2019 or 2018
- The refund or amount owed from your latest filed tax return
- Bank account type, account, and routing numbers
Visit the IRS Economic Impact Payments Information Center to answer any further questions you have about eligibility, payment amounts, what to expect, when to expect it, and more.